Ramen soup is generally made from pork, chicken bones or dried fishes, or combined with kombu and vegetables. I have been eating meats a lot... so wanted to cook a vegetarian dish. I use Somen noodles instead of ramen noodles. Somen noodles are stretched thin wheat noodles. Somen noodles are summer signature food for Japanese. The noodles can be served both hot or cold. Sorry it is not gluten free!
When I make ramen soup, I cook many vegetables like ginger, garlic, green onions, bok choy, carrot and other vegetables. The key ingredient is miso. Miso is good probiotic food and helps boost immune system, ease digestive issues (diarrhea, constipation, nausea, vomiting, upset stomach etc), prevent cancer, slow aging (anti-aging), control cholesterol, improve skin appearance, etc.
<Ingredients for Vegan Soup 4 servings>
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 medium carrots, diced
- 1 head bok choy, cut into 1 inch strips
- 1 cup broccoli (or cauliflower), cut into florets & sliced stems.
- 1/2 cup daikon radish (optional), diced
- 3 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 - 1 cup water
- 1.5 Tbsp Miso paste
- ground black pepper or Japanese seven spice to taste
- Nori seaweed as garnish
Somen noodles : 50-100g per person. Usually one bundle is 50g.
1. Heat sesame oil in a large stockpot over medium-low heat.
2. Add garlic and ginger for 30 seconds. Add green onions, carrots, bok choy, broccoli, and daikon radish and cook for 10 minutes, stirring often.
3. Add broth, water and bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Add miso paste and bring to a boil and then turn off the feat.
4. Serve hot with somen noodles, nori flakes & peppers or seven spices.
How to cook somen noodles:
Bring 2 liters water to a rolling boil in a large pot over high heat. Prepare a large bowl with water and 15-20 ice cubes. Add somen noodles into boiling water and add 1 cup water. When water returns to a boil, add 1 cup cold water and bring back to a boil. Cook noodles until tender about 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and drain the noodles in a colander and add into the soup. When somen noodles are served as cold, rinse well under cold water.