This month's recipe on Naturopathy : Vegan purple sweet potato carrot ginger soup.
I love sweet potatoes and eat almost everyday! I don't gain weight from them... maybe because they are high-fiber - especially resistant starch! Resistant starch has several beneficial effects on your colon such as increasing good bacterias in your gut, reducing inflammation, etc. I used purple sweet potatoes, but you can use other sweet potatoes. If you can find Japanese sweet potatoes, it will be perfect!
Vegan purple sweet potato carrot ginger soup
Servings : 4~6
Onion 1/2, chopped
Ginger 1~2 slices, minced
Purple sweet potatoes 1 lb, peeled and chopped into 0.5-1 inch pieces
Carrot 0.6 lb, peeled and chopped into 0.5-1 inch pieces
Olive oil 2~3 Tablespoons
Bay leaves 2
Kombu kelp 7cm or vegetable stock
salt and pepper
Almond milk 1 cup
1. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the ginger and onion and season to taste with salt, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 8 minutes.
2. Add sweet potatoes and carrots, season to taste with salt and pepper, and cook until carrots and sweet potatoes become soft.
3. Add 3 cups of water, kombu kelp (or 2 cups of vegetable stock and 1 cup of water), and bay leaves.
4. Cover and simmer over low heat until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes or more. Turn off the heat and cool the soup for 5 minutes.
5. Move the ingredients into a food processor and blend until it becomes puree: smooth and creamy.
6. Move the soup into the pot, and add almond milk and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook for a few minutes. Serve with parsley if you like. I liked to eat the soup with sautéed mushrooms with turmeric flavor. Just cook sliced mushrooms with olive oil and season to taste with salt and turmeric.
* You can use other milk options such as cow milk, soy milk, oat milk, etc.