Tofu and Burdock Root Burger with Teriyaki Sauce
- 12 oz extra firm tofu, drained
- 1/2 small onion
- 6 inches length burdock root, peeled
- 1/2 carrot
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup whole wheat or all purpose flour + if the mixture is too watery, add more flour or panko (bread crumbs)
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup sesame oil or light olive oil (or blend these oils)
: teriyaki sauce :
- 3 Tbsp tamari Shoyu (soy sauce)
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup or mirin (Japanese sweet sake)
- 1/2 Tbsp sake
- 1 tsp corn starch
1. Place tofu, burdock root, carrot, and onion in a food processor and blend them until smooth.
2. Place the tofu mixture in a medium bowl and add egg, flour, salt and pepper and mix well.
3. Heat a large pan over medium-high heat and pour in 1/4 cup oil. Drop tofu mixture into the pan in 3 equal portions.
4. Flatten with a spatula to form patties and fry for 6-8 minutes on each side, until golden.
5. Put teriyaki sauce ingredients in a small pot and simmer until thickened.
6. Serve the burger with the sauce.