I have been using my oven a lot to grill vegetables.
This time I grilled burdock roots (Gobo in Japanese) and carrots. Burdock root is a deep root and looks like this ↓.
My favorite burdock recipes are kimpira gobo (sautéed burdock with sesame seed oil and soy sauce) and gobo chips. This roasted burdock root and carrot recipe is also my favorite - easy and tasty.
<Ingredients : 2-3 servings>
- 2 burdock roots (10 inches length)
- 1 carrot (7-8 inches length)
- 1/4 cup sesame oil
- 4 Tbs balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Smoked salt or regular sea salt
- Black pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 425F.
2. Clean burdock root and carrot. Scrub with a scouring pad to remove dark spots and dirt.
3. Cut burdock root and carrot into 2 - 2.5 inches lengthwise, quartered.
4. In a large bowl, toss burdock root and carrot with sesame oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt. Set aside for 10 minutes.
5. Roast, 30 minutes to 45 minutes, stirring at least once or twice during roasting until tender.
6. Remove from the oven and season with salt, to taste if needed.